Thursday, September 20, 2007

I wrote this for a homeschool list

There was more BFG at various points of the day. T wants to be involved but he has a habit of talking over the tape. I set him up with a Laurie Berkener music CD on the computer. With that and the interesting Linux screensavers, he was good for a while. Isn't that terrible? The Linux people shouldn't make their screensavers so fascinating, however, because even I have a hard time walking by when one is running.

At other points of the day, T removed sections of the human body skeleton and tried to reassemble them. We eventually put it all away because it had been out for a few days and it was getting trashed.

B really did learn the prefix "semi" wrt the washable markers, after T decorated both of his hands while I typed this. Sigh. And as I said, about half of it remained after multiple handwashings. Oh well.

So T obviously had a blast with the markers. And B drew a few pictures with his set:
1. Skeleton with focus on ribs and pelvis (b/c we read about it earlier). That massive thing right down the middle of the ribs is the sternum. I assume those black masses are lungs inside the ribs, because we had spoken about how the ribs are slightly flexible for respiration. I don't know how many ribs he drew; he didn't have the book in front of him so he may have been guessing. But the bottom two ribs are free-floating like that, only attached to the vertebrae in back. I learned something today! And then he drew the pelvis with an emphasis on how it's two massive parts (the coxae mentioned earlier) are held together. The pointy part of the end of the spine is the coccyx, a word I can never pronounce correctly (kind of like 'cinnamon').
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...thurs_dwg2.jpg
2. Internal organs on a human
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...thurs_dwg1.jpg
The red/blue lines leading to the heart are "blood vessels that attach to the brain". The heart and lung combo is kind of small. The brown liver dominates the drawing. The green thing under the liver is the gallbladder, but he doesn't know the name or function of that; he just remembers that he's seen a green thing on the bottom of the liver before. The stomach is underneath that, followed by square intestines. The kidneys are tiny things on the outer sides and they attach to a yellow bladder (hard to see in this pic) with red ureters; he does not remember the term "ureters".

That's B: art, construction and science like I said in my intro. And as I said in the intro, this is what he needs to be doing. Sure, he doesn't know who the Mayans are yet and he can't define the term "antonym" (to recall that 1st grade thread) but this is what he likes so this is what he knows. I love watching him get excited about things that interest him. He wouldn't get encouragement or support in these areas in school right now; I think he'd be miserable, tbh. This is what he needs to do.

We didn't end up going to the play area, which was good because both kids got really tired and grumpy. They made a very small museum before dinner. Actually, there was just one exhibit, which was the small 3D paper skull from the other day. It's apparently "a million, billion years old" and it's the very first human skull. It has a purple appearance, not because of the purple construction paper, but because it's so old and it was impossible to carefully clean all the dirt off. There was just the one exhibit, but there was a lot of planning related chatter about the museum. I could hear B correcting T every time T called B by his pet name, "Didi". Instead, I could hear T calling him by his full name. I asked B why he was insisting that T call him that when he doesn't even call himself that. He something about official museum people, such as himself, never go by nicknames.

While I was making supper, B wanted to see my scales. I showed him how the "oz" meant "ounces" and how it was a way of weighing things. Then, he watched me try to get 10 oz of black beans. I think there were like 9 1/8 or something. I pointed out the fraction and tried to explain that it was less than 1...I tried to do a little general explanation of what it means and that if I got up to 8/8 that would be 1. Then I'd have 9+1. It's the kind of thing he's going to learn, I guess, just from practical applications like this and seeing it a lot.

Before bedtime, I read two of the "Chicka chicka" books to T. Now, dh is in there, reading bedtime stories: Paddington Bear for B and whatever T chooses in the world of picture books.

Do you know what I need to do? I desperately need to make up some homeschooling event calendars for myself. My printer is not working right now, so I've procrastinated making the calendars; I just need to do it online. Usually, I plot out all doctor's appts, concerts, storytimes, playdates, et al. That way, I can obviously see if anything clashes and I can also see if we have any massive gaps in the "something-to-do department." Maybe I'll go start that now.

No comments: