Thursday, September 20, 2007

I wrote this for a homeschool list

It's been another wonderfully lazy morning. I still need to shower and I should find the kids to dress them. I was the last person out of bed this morning, groggy due to noisy neighbors in the apartment below late last night. As I lay in bed this morning, trying to completely wake up, I could hear the kids chattering to dh over breakfast. B asked dh what the area around the North Pole was called. If the area around the South Pole was "Antarctica", then what do we call the area around the North Pole? (The Arctic, of course). Then, I heard them planning something, with dh admonishing them not to jump on me with it as soon as I crawled out of bed.

Their plans related to the empty box they found last night (in the last picture I posted). They wanted to turn it into a car, but they needed help with the big scissors. As soon as I woke up a bit more, I cut off the flaps like they requested, following by cutting out a door that B drew. They taped up a weak side and began drawing on the inside of the box. T's job was to draw a radio. Eventually, B taped the discarded flaps to the back of the box so that it looked like an open, sideways box attached to the car. Then, he taped paper over the opening and said it was the car's trunk. Right now, an assortment of dolls are chilling in the cool car. They were arguing about what kind of car it was, but I'm not sure what they settled on.

T took some of the human skeleton puzzle apart so he could put it back together. Mostly, they've played with the box car and given voices to the dolls that are riding inside. I caught a moth at one point and we examined that.

After the dh conversation and before the box transformation, they listened to some of the BFG on tape. B is listening to it again, while hiding in his castle cubby.

I'm not sure what we'll do later this afternoon. The kids cheerfully cleared off the entire kitchen table, because they want to paint. I need to get the paints out of the box so they can do it. I've just been procrastinating, because I'm afraid it will be too messy in this apartment. Normally, they don't spill, however, and dh did put some mats down. That's what we need to do in a little bit, since they were so excited about it.

No comments: