Friday, January 11, 2008

This post is just full of random hs things.

In the new house, and this goes against everything I thought I believed about early childhood and academics, I think I'm going to see if T is receptive to me working with him on reading. He already can read simple Bob books (but not all in one shot, b/c he gets tired). He knows how to blend words, although I'm not quite sure how he figured that out. But yet, he doesn't know the names of all the letters yet. It's funny. He can sound out and read small words, but he forgets what an "N" is. The other day, he was writing at the table. He was trying to write, "Day in Spanish" and he had written "DAE". B did not help him at all; he had just sounded it out and worked it out himself. He had problems writing Spanish, because he forgets what an "N" is. Whereas B was always heavily resistant to instruction, T seems happy when someone sits with him to do stuff. So, I'm going to see if he's receptive to some (gasp) formal instruction.

What's crazy is that he isn't legally allowed to start Kindergarten for two more years, based on his slightly late birthday. If we used school, the earliest he could do K would be 2009/2010. I'm trying to figure out how this works with homeschooling. I would like to simply ignore the birthday cut-off (less than 2 months from his bday) and start legally tracking him next year. I don't know if I can do that or not. I'm just thinking of long-term. What if my kids want to go to school at some point? I would rather T have the option of doing the higher grade. Anyway, it's a long way away.

In other random hs news, T was asking dh questions about the Sphinx so dh Googled some stuff for them. Then, dh printed off a hieroglyphic sheet for B. B was so happy; he wrote his name in hieroglyphics. Then, he started inventing his own pictorial alphabet. I want to print off some cuniform for him too, since he was so interested in pictorial text. Actually, if my Chinese book wasn't in storage right now, I could show him that, because the characters are derived from pictures. For example, the first character in the pronouns is based on a picture of a person.

Right now, they're playing with Legos. We had a busy week with two days of very active outside play so they're enjoying some introverted bliss of quietly playing. I've barely heard from them today.

No comments: