Friday, January 11, 2008

I wanted to add something to my fall/winter 2007 assessment of B for our portfolio. We have a better idea of where he is in math based on some questions he's asked in the last few days. He's been asking questions about addition doubles. And then yesterday, he asked me, "How much is three 4s?" When I replied, "12", he said, "That's what two 6's are!" When I mentioned this to dh, dh said that B had rattled off the sums of two 2s, two 3s, two 4s and two 5s for him. Based on how quickly he said them, dh thinks he's gone beyond figuring them out and has memorized them. From what I can tell of First Grade expectations, this is in line with those, except that they focus on memorization. I would rather see number sense precede memorization, rather than the other way around. I say that as someone who is absolutely terrible at math but who dutifully memorized everything I was asked to. I feel good about where B is in math. In the new house, I've promised workbooks.

No comments: