Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Just a quick note. T is sick today and I'm tired from being up with him. We need to do something at some point this week. We borrowed a Spanish CD from the library but I'm having a problem loading it. We also got two books in Spanish from the library: "Goodnight Moon" and "Harold and the Purple Crayon". I figured it would be good to read books that the kids know well. They have loved them! Sometimes they try to repeat what I say. We're having a great time!

B is enjoying his latest art class. I don't know if there will be another one offered until after Christmas, which is sure to make him sad. Whenever I pick him, he just bounds out of the elevator to see me. He looks so happy to be there.

T has recently started Sunday School. I was positive that he was not ready to separate from me. If B were with him, it would have been OK but that's not how the age division works. The Youth Director told me I could just accompany him to class and help out while I was staying with him. He's prone to meltdowns lately, so that was another concern in my mind.

Anyway, on the drive over, he announced that he would be going by himself. I knew that would never happen. We dropped B off first. Then, I brought T to his room and introduced him to his teachers. He told me to leave. And when I left, he didn't even turn around and wave! I even went back in one more time to tell them to bring him to me if he melted down and he didn't even notice me. I was shocked! When I picked him up, he was happily coloring with other kids and he was very content. And you know what? His behavior at home has improved since then!

I was really surprised that he went by himself and did so well. I was also amused to see how he acted on his own. He's always in B's shadow, it seems like, because B asserts himself as the creative play leader at home. When the teacher told T that they were going to make a boat out of blocks for animals (Noah's Ark), he asserted, "I have an idea! We can make a ZOO for these animals!" It was funny to see him interacting with other children without B standing close by. It's been good for him.

I have to go do kid stuff now.

No comments: