Monday, October 22, 2007

B has taken some classes recently. He's started another art class, which is focused on making things from paper, a B specialty!

He also took a workshop at the Planetarium. I was unable to chaperone his Planetarium class because younger siblings were not allowed to attend. It's run by the school district so they're very strict about "grades" and ages. When I dropped him off, I was surprised to see how many kids were there. I thought it would be a smaller homeschool gathering. I didn't realize that an elementary school would be there and that there would be tons of children. I was nervous about leaving him, because he didn't really know anyone and I was worried that he would get lost. Thankfully, a homeschooling Mom chaperone, who I don't even know, put her hand on his back and talked to him. She kept an eye out for him and I really appreciated that.

I was supposed to pick him up at the Planetarium right before they went to lunch. When I arrived early to pick him up, his group had already left for lunch and I couldn't find him. No one knew where his group was. I started to panic a little. Then, I found the receptionist's desk and the receptionist was able to tell me exactly where he was, down to the specific picnic table number. The nice chaperone Mom had given him one of their cookies. I thanked her profusely and then we went home.

I was so nervous about this school-like setting because he's completely unused to that and I was really nervous that he would get lost in the shuffle. But he was SO incredibly excited about his experience. I have never heard him talk that much after a class. Usually, I have to interview him to get the most basic details. In this case, he was gushing about what happened.

The Planetarium "ceiling" opened up to show a video about the Universe. But it was one of those interactive films where you feel like you're traveling inside the film, kind of like an IMax experience. They went past Saturn, went past a black hole and to a bunch of other places. Then, when the film was over, they were treated to a virtual roller-coaster ride through space. They were inside a rocket and they sped over loops of "train tracks". It was apparently very realistic and exciting for B. He talked and talked and talked about this workshop. So even though I was unhappy with the logistics, he had a fantastic time.

No comments: