Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I think we're officially in the 2007-08 school year; I think it started in July. If that's the case, then I need to get down that B attended an animal camp at the Science Center in August. I got a little carried away with camp sign-up this year, because they are in high demand and I was worried that he would end up with no camp. So I signed him up for several as a "just in case". The problem I'll have next year is choosing, because the three camps we did were fantastic. I would definitely do the camps that are run by the University's Ecology Department again. I would sign T up too next year and I'd probably volunteer in his camp. The Science Center camp was also fantastic, but in a different way.

Whereas the Ecology camps focused heavily on outdoor activities and crafts, the August Science Center camp used its substantial lab resources to form the bulk of the program. B was able to hold a variety of animals that live at the Center, including frogs, toads, a giant millipede, a turtle, a tarantula (ok, he passed on the spider), and others...One day when I arrived to pick him up, the children were all holding something small and pink in their hands. When the Moms got a closer look, we saw that the kids were holding baby mice! B was thrilled that his camp group was taken down to the aquatic lab and allowed to go behind the tanks, where the Science Center people work. On another day, each child caught a tadpole in a tank with a net and then released it outside in the pond. In addition to the hands-on animal activities, the children also heard animal stories and made crafts.

What was also nice about the Science Center lab is that parents and siblings were invited to do things with the camp at the very beginning and end of each day. So, we had a chance to pet George the Iguana on one day. We were able to use the touch-tanks in the Ocean Room on another day. Whereas B loves to touch the animals, T is adamantly against the idea; it was still nice to have the option and to see things. The main classroom was also very hands-on. If we arrived early for drop-off, T and I could wander around. B could also wander and touch various things while waiting for everyone to arrive. I watched a group of boys through the class window admiring and touching some small taxidermy specimens one day. B was holding a small animal skull and appeared to be deep in thought. It was a great experience.

The Science Center is normally open one day a month to the general public. The school district uses it the rest of the time. We enjoyed having some access to the Center during that particular week. The only thing that slightly annoys me about the camps is that they are very strict about organizing by grade level. Next year, B will be old enough to take a basic rocket camp, which he is desperate to do. He must be a rising 2nd grader to attend.

Actually, I had to teach him what his grade level was, in case anyone asked. Sometimes people ask him where he goes to school and he will either say, "I'm homeschooled." or he might get nervous and say nothing. I told him that if anyone asked him what grade he was in, that he should say he's starting First Grade. He asked, "What does that mean?" I replied, "If you went to school, they would put you in a class based on the year you were born and they call it a 'grade'." Having to explain it like that to him made it seem even more bizarre to me. Poor T, if he attended school, he'd be nearly 6 right after K starts because of the cut-off. I understand a general grouping is necessary for organizational purposes but I still cannot wrap my head around annual cut-offs. If I were a school person, I guess the Montessori practice of grouping grades would appeal to me.

Anyway, my thoughts are all over the place as I'm still trying to wake up this morning...camp was a big success and he had a great time.

No comments: