Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I hate to serial post instead of updating gradually. This is the third one in an hour! Now that the school year has started, hopefully I will make smaller and more frequent postings.

This is my attempt at capturing what we've done in the "world of education", for portfolio purposes. I'm also suppose to jot down where he's at, academically, at the start of the school year and I need to figure that out.

In the last week, we talked about how owls eat and regurgitate. We're about to order owl pellets and so I introduced the basic premise to him. He's extremely excited about the owl pellets, because of the bones. I need to look into the cost of ordering a small animal skull for him. That might be a new house purchase, due to space considerations in the apartment. I also want to learn about which owls we are most likely to encounter locally. After watching the Dirty Jobs episode on owl pellets, dh and I want to buy or make an owl box for our rural property. Owls are one of my favorite animals.

Yesterday, I wrote some dinosaur names for B, upon request, so that he could copy them onto his paper creations. I underlined the word "saurus" and reminded him that it meant "lizard". He then pointed to "tyranno" and told me that it meant "terrible". We ended up on Wikipedia, looking up Greek word roots in dinosaur names. "Allosaurus" apparently means 'strange lizard'. Dh is reading a DK book called, "Dinosaur Detectives" to him at night. The dinosaur and fossil interest is still very strong.

Talking about Greek word roots led us to talking about the ancient Greeks. He doesn't understand timelines yet. But I roughly put the ancient Greeks at the time of Romans; he knows of the Romans due to knowing about Pompeii. We ended up spending a fair amount of time on the Internet looking at pictures relating to the ancient Greeks. We looked at pictures of the Parthenon and many pictures of pottery and sculptures. He got a big kick out of the various sculptures with missing body parts.

Somehow, we got off on a tangent about the ancient Egyptians based on things he was asking. He asked, "If people didn't have machinery, then how did they make things like the Pyramids back then?" We read and talked a lot about that. We found a virtual tour of a Pyramid, but I don't remember where it was; it may have been PBS. This led to a tangent about mummies. He used to be terrified of the idea but his strong obsession with anatomy led to a fascination with mummies. He recalled a Reading Rainbow episode that he really enjoyed about making mummies.

We talked about so many things and I don't even remember them all. He now wants to go to the British Museum in London after I said that I saw ancient Greek statues and mummy stuff there. In the end, we ended up at Flick group devoted to UNESCO sites. He was fascinated by the tree roots covering parts of a temple in Cambodia. I can't remember the name of the site, but it was one that I had investigated visiting a few years back. I think B got hit with a heavy dose of travel genes. Dh's family is very into travel, with one uncle having made it to most of the countries on Earth! My family is not the traveling type at all, but I've always dreamed of it since I was small. B and I share a lot of common interests. I cannot wait to travel more with my kids in the near future. We're starting to enter the age ranges where it becomes easier.

Ok, I think that's enough posting for today.

No comments: